Short-Term Personal Health Coverage
BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee offers comprehensive short-term coverage to help bridge the gap between traditional plans.
Advantages of our short-term plans include:
- Your choice of deductible ($250, $500, $1,000 or $2,500)
- Your choice of 1 month, 2 months or 3 months of coverage
- Access to Network P, our largest provider network, and a broad network of pharmacies
- Acceptance worldwide
- No-hassle claims filing
- Ability to check benefit information and claims status online
- Access to special member perks called BluePerks® – in some cases, up to a 50 percent discount on non-covered services
Enjoy the following benefits:
- Medically necessary and appropriate services in a physician's or other practitioner's office
- Routine diagnostic services
- Prescription drugs (subject to deductible and paid at 80 percent)
- Inpatient hospitalization including room and board in a semi-private room, general nursing care, medications, injections, diagnostics and special care units*
- Emergency care and ambulance services
- Skilled nursing facilities (limited to 10 days per policy term)
- Therapy services including physical, speech, occupational, manipulative, cardiac and pulmonary rehabilitation (10 visit limit per benefit period)
- Home health services (10 visit limit per benefit period; prior approval must be obtained)
- Temporomandibular Joint (TMJ) ($500 limit per benefit period)
- Durable medical equipment
- Prosthetics and orthotics
* Certain services require prior authorization or benefits will be reduced or denied.
To keep your coverage affordable, some expenses and services are not covered:
- Pre-existing conditions
- Treatment of nervous and mental disorders
- Treatment of alcohol and substance abuse
- Care which is not medically necessary
- Services or supplies provided in connection with an experimental or investigative treatment, drug, procedure or supply
- Eyeglasses, contact lenses or hearing aids, including prescription or fitting of them
- Routine examinations, immunization shots, removal of corns, calluses or trimming of nails
- Allergy testing
A complete list of benefit terms and conditions – and non-covered services – is included in your short-term policy, which you will receive with your identification card after you enroll. Or, call us at 1-888-744-9584, e-mail us at IndividualSales_Support@bcbst.com or call your broker for more details.
Need additional coverage?
You may apply for up to four consecutive BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee short-term policies for a total of 12 months of coverage. After that, you must wait six months before applying for additional short-term coverage. Any medical condition that occurs before or during your current short-term policy will be considered a pre-existing condition on any future short-term policy. Your short-term coverage can be extended if you are hospitalized when your coverage expires.