Health for All Ages: Teens
Checkups aren't just for babies and toddlers. Teens need regular checkups, too! If you're a teen, get a checkup every year — even if you feel healthy. Keep your smile healthy with a dental (teeth) checkup every six months.
As a teen, you can also start taking charge of your health care by:
- Making your own appointments
- Going to appointments by yourself. If you’re afraid to go alone, ask your parent or a friend to go with you.
- Telling your doctor everything that is going on with your body – including any worries you have about your weight
- Telling your doctor if you have felt sad or depressed for more than a few days
- Talking to your doctor about your health problems and concerns
- Writing down questions to ask your doctor
- Asking questions about the medicines you need to take
Don't be afraid to talk with your doctor about sex and other uncomfortable topics. Your doctor needs to know these things to get you the right care.