Have you ever had a hard time concentrating at work? You aren't alone! You may be surprised to learn that what you’re eating may be the culprit. Why? Because your brain thrives on healthy nutrients.
While no one food is a "superfood" for your brain, there are plenty of foods that provide fuel to boost your brainpower. Why not add the following foods to your diet?
- Blueberries. Most reports place blueberries at the top of the brain food list. Studies have shown that consumption of berries could lead to a slower decline in focus and memory.
- Fatty fish. Fish like sardines and salmon come rich in omega-3 fatty acids, which have demonstrated a reduced risk of dementia in those who consume it regularly.
- Healthy fats. Yes, you read that right – some fats are healthy! Flax seeds, mixed nuts and avocados provide healthy fats that your brain loves. They promote better blood flow which carries more oxygen to your brain.
- Sweet potatoes. These yummy root vegetables are full of carotenoids, which can help your brain stay healthy.
- Leafy greens. Spinach, for example, is a great source of folate, a nutrient that helps prevent the buildup of plaque in your brain.
- Eggs. Eggs – and the choline they contain – are a great brain energizer.
- Chocolate. Happily, chocolate is on the brain food list too. Dark chocolate is full of brain-pleasing antioxidants; the darker the chocolate, the more antioxidants. Milk chocolate has been shown to improve both memory and reaction time.