You may think that because over-the-counter (OTC) products are available without a prescription – and usually cost less – they don't provide the same benefits as their prescription alternatives.
So what are the facts?
- OTC medications have been on the market for years and have a proven safety record.
- Many OTC products are available in the same strength as their prescription versions, and can have the same results.
- The federal Food and Drug Administration (FDA) requires OTC medications to meet stringent regulations for safety and purity.
- OTC medications must be safe enough for consumers to use without the supervision of a doctor.
- OTC products are usually less expensive than their prescription equivalents.
Talk to your doctor or pharmacist to see which OTC medications might be best for you.