Are Your Employees Taking Advantage of All Their Benefits?
Do they know how to lower their costs?
Here are a few pointers to share with your employees on how to get the most from their coverage:
Today, more than ever, it's important that your enrolled employees be savvy about their health benefits. And by that, we mean understanding how to get the most out of their coverage.
Using their CoverTN plan is really simple. And even if they think they're taking full advantage of their benefits, it's always a good idea to keep a few key things in mind. So, we're going to take our participating employers through the basics, right from the beginning. That way, you can pass them on to your employees.
Get to know what's on the member ID card
Take a close look at the ID card. There's a lot of good information right there for both the member and their doctors, such as their plan name, their ID number, and phone numbers for services such as Member Services, precertification and more. And members should remember to always bring their member ID card with them when they go to the doctor's office.
Try to use in-network providers for all services to save the most money
CoverTN uses Provider Network V. (This network name is printed on the member ID card and Provider Directory.) Network V gives members access to a network of hospitals, doctors and other health care professionals throughout the state of Tennessee. In fact, through BlueCard® PPO and BlueCard® Worldwide, they can get services almost anywhere in the U.S. or around the globe. For more details about BlueCard, members should check their Member Handbook. Network providers have agreed to accept lower fees for their services. This enables us to cover a larger portion of the claims their provider submits. Members do not have benefits for out-of-network services. They will be responsible for the full amount they are charged by providers who are not in Network V. This helps keep premiums low for all members. For cost-sharing information (i.e., copays), refer your enrolled employees to their benefit materials or bcbst.com. Or they may call Member Services at 1-888-887-3224.
When making an appointment, members should have their member ID card on hand and verify that the doctor accepts CoverTN. (For a quick recap on ways members can find a CoverTN provider, see the article called "How Members Can Find In-Network Providers")
Practice a healthy lifestyle
Remind CoverTN members who use tobacco and/or are above target weight that they can save money on their premiums by quitting tobacco and/or moving down to their target weight or below it. The premium rates can be viewed at bcbst.com.
Learn how to keep drug costs down
Your employees' plan has a formulary (also called drug list). This is the list of generic drugs covered by their plan. Some brand-name drugs are approved for certain drug classes. This includes some brand-name insulin and diabetic supplies†, as well as the brand-name flu treatment drugs Tamiflu and Relenza. All drugs on the list are approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.
- Advise members to take the formulary with them to all medical appointments and share it with their doctor to help coordinate their medication needs. The formulary can be found in their Prescription Drug Program booklet or bcbst.com.
- Encourage members to check out CoverTN's home delivery prescription service. This service is safe and easy and can save them time and money. For more information on having their prescriptions delivered to their home, refer them to their Prescription Drug Program guide or bcbst.com.
- Remind your enrolled employees to take advantage of BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee's pharmacy network discount of up to 20 percent for non-covered drugs and supplies. Specialty medications are not covered under CoverTN.
†Diabetic supplies include:
Return to Articles
- Blood glucose monitors (available free with a coupon)
- Test strips, and
- Needles, syringes, lancets and alcohol swabs.