Caring for Our Smallest Members
Complicated BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee has enhanced its case management programs for all neonatal intensive care unit (NICU) admissions, taking a more proactive approach to promote healthy outcomes for members with premature and medically complex newborns. The program is managed by ProgenyHealth. Here is how it works:
- Participation begins when BlueCross is notified of a NICU admission and continues through the baby's first birthday.
- Nurses and case managers work closely with hospitals, families and attending physicians to ensure appropriate utilization. They also confirm that all medical equipment and services are in place before an infant is discharged from the hospital.
- The program includes access to Baby Trax, a web-based application that helps families and providers monitor newborn progress.
- There is no additional cost to participate and members may discontinue the program at any time.
- Nursing mothers of intensive care babies get a free Medela breast pump.
For more information about this benefit or any other aspects of your health plan, check with your company benefits manager.