I Want to See

search icon

I Want to See

It's in the Details.

Find the health plan that’s right for you

The Open Enrollment Period ended December 15, 2018, but if you've had a major life change recently, you may still be able to enroll or change plans. Learn more about these Special Enrollment Periods (SEPs) and see if you qualify.
Enroll Now
It's in the Details.

Our plans have changed for 2019   

We work with certain doctors, hospitals and specialists to offer a member discount for your care. They make up your provider network. You’ll still be able to go to all the doctors and facilities in Blue Network SSM, our most popular network. But in 2019, going to in-network providers who take your insurance will be especially important because our plans won’t pay for care from out-of-network providers.

Enroll now

Finding the plan that’s best for you is easy. You could qualify for a tax credit to help lower the costs of your health coverage. Tennesseans who qualify for financial assistance receive an average of $956 a month to lower their premiums. Use this Health Insurance Marketplace Calculator to see if you qualify, or click here for more information on getting help paying for your plan.
A couple on their wedding day

Blue gives you more

Your plan includes lots of extras to help keep you well and save you money, like:
  • Free preventive care and screenings
  • Special deals on fitness and nurtrition programs, medical supplies and more
  • Coverage when you travel out of state
  • Easy ways to help you manage your health

Choose the plan that fits your life

Once you know how the different parts of health insurance work, you can make smarter choices about choosing a plan that fits your needs and your budget. Keep reading to find out more about health insurance costs and what they mean for you.

Our plans


Coverage areas


What’s a premium?

Premium is the amount you pay each month for health coverage. When you purchase a health plan, the cost of your monthly premium is based on several factors - your age, tobacco use, where you live, the plan’s provider network and level of coverage.

You may be tempted to look only at monthly premiums when budgeting for a health plan, but it’s important to consider other costs and what makes the most sense based on your own needs and health status.

For example, if you have a plan with a lower monthly premium, you may pay more for your health expenses before your insurance starts sharing costs. On the other hand, plans with higher monthly premiums usually mean lower out-of-pocket expenses when you receive care.

What does "out of pocket maximum" mean?

The out-of-pocket maximum is the most you will pay in a year for covered services from network providers. If you’ve ever had a serious injury or illness, you know that costs can add up fast. An out-of-pocket maximum helps protect you financially because you know that if something were to happen and make your expenses skyrocket, they will never cost you more than the out-of-pocket maximum dollar amount you chose in the beginning.

So what counts toward your out-of-pocket max? Coinsurance, deductibles and copays apply, and once you meet the maximum, your health plan will pay covered costs at 100% for the remainder of the calendar year.

What’s a deductible?

Your deductible is the dollar amount you pay for all of your health care needs before your plan starts sharing a percentage of your costs. Plans include deductibles for each individual person who is covered, and they also include family deductibles. Once you reach your deductible, you’ll pay a lower percentage of your health care costs, or coinsurance, until you reach your out-of-pocket maximum. For example, if your plan has a $4,000 deductible and a 20% coinsurance, it means that you will pay the first $4,000 of expenses out of your own pocket and for everything after that, you will pay 20% of the costs, with your health plan covering the other 80%, up until you hit your plan's out of pocket maximum.

Remember, deductibles are different for most plans and can be as low as $0. But it’s important to know that plans with low deductibles can also mean your other costs are higher (premiums and/or coinsurance).

What’s a copay?

A copayment, or copay, is the fixed amount you pay when you get certain types of care - such as a doctor’s office visit or when you pick up a prescription drug from the pharmacy. Having a copay for these benefits can help you control the costs of things you know you will use regularly. The amount of your copay can vary depending on your plan’s benefits. For example, plans with lower copays may have higher monthly premiums. Knowing your copay can help you budget for your medical care, so be sure to check the copays included in your plan. These copays will count toward your plan's out of pocket maximum.

What’s coinsurance?

Coinsurance is the percentage you pay for the care you receive once you’ve met your deductible. If you have a 20% coinsurance, you will pay 20% of your expenses and your plan will pay the other 80% of covered costs.