You can easily add more steps to your
day — and you can do it without throwing off your schedule.
Just think creatively and make walking a habit.
• Take stairs instead of elevators or get off below your
destination and walk up a few stairs.
• Park a few blocks from your destination or at the far end
of the parking lot.
• Walk the last few blocks instead of riding the bus all
the way to work.
• Walk around the field at your children’s ball games.
• Organize a lunchtime walking group at work, or a before-
or after-work group with friends or neighbors.
• Make family time active time. After dinner, get the whole
family outside for a game of tag or a walk around the
• Don’t get stuck in the “all or nothing” rut. Just do what
you can. If you don’t have time for a long walk, take several
brisk walks to reach your daily goal.