Rights and Responsibilities
Your Rights and Responsibilities as a Plan Member
BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee wants you to have the personalized, quality health care you deserve. For that to happen, it is important that you understand how your health plan works, and that you become involved and informed about the care you receive. As a plan member, you have certain rights, responsibilities, and expectations. By understanding and upholding these rights and responsibilities, you will help us arrange and coordinate the type of care you deserve.
You have the right to:
- Get information about us, like our services, the providers* and practitioners in our networks, and your member rights and responsibilities.
- Be respected and treated with dignity, and have your private information kept private
- Make your own decisions about your health care based on an open, honest discussion with your health care providers and practitioners about all your treatment options, regardless of cost or whether your plan covers them
- Make complaints or appeals about us or your care
- Recommend changes to our member rights and responsibilities policy
You have the responsibility to:
- Give us and your health care providers the details we need (as much as possible) to provide care that’s right for you
- Follow directions you and your providers have agreed to about your treatment
- Work with your health care providers to understand your conditions and decide on a treatment and goal that you can agree on
For Medicare members, learn more about your rights here.
For Medicaid with Medicare (BlueCare Plus (HMO SNP)SM) Members, find your rights here.