Professional Provider Testing
Before You Start
Before beginning the medical scenario tests, BlueCross recommends that the people completing this activity have the necessary training and tools.
- There are a variety of ICD-10 training options for coders offered through industry and rofessional training organizations. BlueCross does not endorse any specific vendor as each provider likely already works with a combination of national and state level associations and vendors as part of their current ICD-9 coding activities.
- ICD-10 tools, which are traditionally used by coders, can also be acquired from both industry associations and through professional vendors. While BlueCross does not endorse any specific vendors, we do recommend that the resources that will support the medical scenario testing have ready access to ICD-10 coding manuals and other tools normally used in their day-to-day activities.
Once all prerequisites have been satisfied, BlueCross recommends the following approach to completing the medical scenario tests:
- Enter the tool by using the URL provided to you in your registration email. Select the first available scenario listed in the table. Print out the scenario by selecting the Print button located in the upper right corner of the screen. The print out will contain thre unique health care encounter descriptions (narratives) and tables for you to capture your ICD-10 responses.
- Exit the tool and identify ICD-10 diagnosis codes for each narrative in the printed document.
- Once all research for a scenario has been completed, return to the tool and submit the ICD-10 diagnosis codes for the available scenario by entering the codes one narrative at a time. You may save your answers at any time and exit the tool if necessary.
- The tool will confirm that the responses entered are valid CMS codes by highlighting any invalid entries in red. Those invalid entries must be corrected or deleted before you will be allowed to submit your answers for processing.
- Once you have a least one valid ICD-10 diagnosis code entered for each of the three narratives, a submit button will be highlighted. You have the option at that time to either submit your answers, save your responses and exit the tool, or navigate amongst the three narratives.
- Once you’ve submitted a scenario, you will be sent to the main page where the next available scenario will be highlighted.
- Repeat this process for any remaining scenarios until all responses for all scenarios have been submitted.
Professional providers with the following specialties can use the tool:
Certified Nurse Midwife
Clinic or Group Practice
Obstetrics & Gynecology
Occupational Therapist in Private Practice
|Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
Physical Therapist in Private Practice
Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery
Contracted Professional Providers with BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee can test scenarios for ICD-10 using a web-based tool at their convenience and at no cost. The ICD-10 Testing Tool has pre-defined scenarios based on provider specialty. The registration process allows the provider to pick one or more specialties. This user guide is designed to assist testing resources with the use of the tool.
ICD-10 Provider Testing Tool - Professional
- Professional Testing Tool – Web-Based Self Help
- Browser Requirements (Chrome, Safari, Internet Explorer, or FireFox)
- Give health care providers (physicians, etc.) pre-defined, clinically based medical scenarios to review and determine the ICD-10 codes
- Enter the data in an easy, efficient manner
- Provide peer reports and/or notification of the correlation between input and output codes
- Provider Steps for tool registration and testing
- Provider Registers on the website
- Provider users access application
- Provider completes scenarios
- Provider reviews results
- Provider can register via this website, and will receive an email inviting them to participate with an embedded link to the testing tool
ICD-10 Provider Testing Tools - Narratives
- Each Specialty will have different narratives related to their specialty.
- Each Narrative defines a specific health care encounter (Narratives include Chief Complaint, Past Medical History and Office Visit Notes pertaining to a Patient)
Click here to view the Professional Provider Testing Tool User Guide
Click here to begin using the Professional Provider Testing Tool
Reporting a Problem
If you encounter a problem with these testing tools or have a question regarding testing, send an email to ICD10_GM@BCBST.COM. Please include a detailed summary of the problem. User inquiries will receive a 24-hour turn-around time for a response.